Characters, Under Wraps
Glee Montrose and Esteban/Alejandro, from Under Wraps
Copyright ©2010-2015 Patricia Green
Full name: Glee Elizabeth Montrose
- Age: 22
- Height: 5’9″
- Weight: 120 lbs
- Hair color: Sunset-red
- Eye color: Turquoise blue
- Education: Overly educated by tutors in various countries. Also learned a great deal from her father, who was a well-educated man.
- Occupation: Nineteenth century woman; wants to be a writer.
- Geography: Has lived all over the world, but home base is Boston.
- Economics: Is well off because her father was a very successful author. Has an ample trust fund.
- Family members: Father’s brother, Martin Montrose; Martin’s wife, Eulalie; their daughter, Esther; their son, Raymond (Glee’s good friend); and their oldest daughter, Sophia.
- Family History: Glee’s paternal family owns a very successful shipping business out of Boston. They are well-established in that city. Glee’s father, Eric Montrose, was always drawn to travel and fiction writing, and although he was the elder brother, he wasn’t interested in running the shipping business he inherited. He gave it over to Martin, but kept a share of the profits. The two brothers counted this as fair. Glee’s mother died when Glee was nine years old, so she’s grown up in the care of her gad-about father.
- Strengths: Glee is quite persistent and strong-willed. She is undaunted, even under truly upsetting circumstances.
- Quirks, idiosyncracies and foibles: She learned at a young age that her striking looks would get a lot of masculine attention, and this bothered her father (he found that potential suitors were pesky and distracting). Glee devised a scheme whereby she would hide her looks under a kind of ugly disguise, discouraging men from seeing her as a potential mate. She is very hesitant to come out of this cocoon, even after her father dies.
- Likes and dislikes: She likes forthright and upright behavior. She also likes a variety of foreign foods, learning about new cultures, reading, and writing. Glee dislikes dishonesty (though some would say this is hypocritical owing to her disguise), and the constraints under which females live in the nineteenth century.
- Goal in this story: Glee wants to finish writing her father’s last novel, a book he was most of the way through when he died. To to this, she has to get to California, where she can be free to pursue her goal without Bostonian social requirements. Later in the story, her pursuit includes Esteban/Alejandro.
The following character profile might be a spoiler.
Full name: Alejandro “Alex” Jorge Christopher Valdez y Pacheco aka Esteban Garcia
- Age: 32
- Height: 6’2″
- Weight: 195
- Hair color: Black and a little longish.
- Eye color: Amber brown, sometimes golden.
- Education: Well-educated, including University law degree.
- Occupation: Rancher and business man.
- Geography: Grew up in the area that became California, where his family’s rancy, Asuymas y San Felipe, and area in what is now Gilroy, in northern California. Travels to Boston to sell his products on a large scale, every few years.
- Economics: Alex’s family is well established on their ranch, have considerable property and are pretty well off. He continues to build their fortunes.
- Family members: Alex is the oldest of four children. He has two brothers and two sisters: Manuel, Consuelo (“Connie”); Theresa; and, the youngest, Jaime. Their father died a number of years ago, leaving Alex in charge. Alex’s mother is still the matron of the family. Her name is Lucia.
- Family History: The Pacheco’s orginally came from Spain, but many generations ago, they immigrated to Mexico and then north. They maintain primarily Spanish ancestry, and are traditional nineteenth century Californios.
- Strengths: Alex has a very strong sense of duty and honor. There isn’t much he wouldn’t do for his family, and, secondarily, for his people. He is also very smart and resourceful.
- Quirks, idiosyncracies and foibles: He has something of a temper, and doesn’t understand women very well.
- Likes and dislikes: Alex likes fiestas, women, traditional values, and running the ranch. He loves his family deeply. He dislikes subterfuge, disloyalty, dishonesty, and infidelity. He also doesn’t like to eat his peas.
- Goal in this story: Alex wants to get home! Along that bumpy path, he meets Glee and determines that he wants her, too.
This story is unavailable at online distributors. It was previously published by New Dawning, but I recently got the rights back. It will be heavily revised and re-published in 2016, by me.